Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher)




Usually when I wake up the next morning with scenes from a film still swirling around in my mind it’s a sign of it’s effectiveness. First thing I recalled when I woke up was the horrific rape scene. It had been traumatizing to watch and stayed with me well into the next day, but was then able to continue the slideshow in my mind and remember her strength, resilience, and power to overcome. I had a fondness for Lisbeth Salander after reading the book two years ago, but it has doubled in intensity after watching Rooney Mara’s courageous and phenomenal performance.

After reading the book, watching the Swedish version, and now the American one I feel like I know this story inside and out. I won’t go into details because it will take far too long to explain the story. I just want to give credit where it’s due and that’s to Fincher’s raw energy and his brilliant decision to cast Rooney Mara as the waif like troubled Salandar. The minute she appears onscreen I had this uncontrollable urge to want to put my arms around her and comfort her. She would probably have ripped my head off in the process. Her anger was apparent and leaked through the cracks in her facade. I have to commend author Stieg Larsson for creating such a work of art with her character.  While she may have done some unthinkable acts in her past (which will be further explained in the sequel) she’s not a malicious person. She did what she felt was necessary and makes no excuses for it. It’s unfortunate it puts in her positions of being a ward of the state and not having access to her own money. This of course leads to the inevitable rape/revenge scenes. I had read a few reviews from other movie goers (particularly women) who could not stomach to watch this. For me it was horrifying in the book and even more so played out on the screen. For some reason it wasn’t as shocking in the Swedish version. Maybe I just don’t recall it as well. In Fincher’s version it was. Nobody should ever enjoy watching these types of moments as “fake” as they are, but when you have actors who are so engrossed in their characters it makes it all that much difficult to believe it’s not authentic. I could feel myself tense up and want to look away during that scene but I forced myself to watch it through. As unpleasant as it is, the following revenge scene would not be as sweet or justified. I can see why some people go off the deep end with rage and vengeance. I would want him mutilated and dead. She takes it a step further by making him live with his unspeakable act for the rest of his sorry life.

I have to also mention Daniel Craig who was far more likeable as Blomkvist than actor  Michael Nyquist. I could understand why Lisbeth was drawn to him. Father figure issues aside, she develops a comradely relationship with him. She excels so much at what she does which is basically hacking into computer and solving cases, but we aren’t sure if she takes any pleasure in it.  Or in anything else for the matter. With Blomkvist it becomes more visible. She cares for his well being and later on develops an attraction towards him. Meanwhile she never once tries to win his sympathy by telling the story of her life or the dreadful experiences she’s been through. She simply just is. She makes no apologies for who she is and doesn’t offer any insight. Yet we’re still drawn to her and completely root for her all the way through.

The movie itself is a far stronger adaptation than the Swedish; though many will disagree. It was argued for months why a remake was felt to be necessary. I felt the language barrier could be a turn off for some. You would be surprised how many people can’t read subtitles and concentrate on a film at the same time. For me this version went way beyond simply being in English. It stayed closer to the book and the performances were much more outstanding from everyone involved. Granted I have not seen the extended Swedish version and I do not want to take anything away from Noomi Rapace’s performance, but I personally connected more with this translation. It's also a very entertaining who-done-it mystery. The edge for me has worn off because of the repeated versions of this tale, but it's a very intricate set up. I have to add the beginning of this film was much stronger than in the novel. It took me a good two weeks to start this book and maybe three days to finish it. The first twenty pages did not grab me at all.  Or maybe I was just wasn't in the right frame of mind to read it. Nonetheless the movie draws you in much faster.

The ending which was by far crucial to the entire story was kept in tact and just as moving as when I read in the book. I was so torn when I realized Lisbeth had developed such a fondness for Blomkvist she went out of her way to not only buy him a touching gift (not to mention help clear his name with her money scam), but she opened herself up to the possibility of maybe loving someone. For her that is not your average ordinary emotion. She is hardened by life and people who have proven beyond untrustworthy. She was violently attacked and watched her father burn at her own hands. These are not events which would be easily if ever triumphed over. When she gets ready to give Blomkvist the leather jacket and basically what’s left of her heart and sees him with his editor it’s just as devastating. I can’t get the image of her face as she looks up at him out of my own mind. Yet I know she’s going to be okay. She tosses the jacket away and rides on. She won’t run to him or plead her affection. It simply is just like everything else has come to past during her existence. Nonetheless it’s heartbreaking.

One more quick note about the film is the very unusual opening title sequence. I haven’t listened to his commentary yet, but I am curious what was behind Fincher’s motivation. I’m not sure if I felt it was necessary or if fit with the rest of the film. It was too “James Bond” looking for a film of this nature. It was rather cool to watch and the music certainly built up the anticipation level, but again it felt out of place for me.  It’s just a minor gripe however in a fulfilling installment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment