Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hunger Games




"May the odds be ever be in your favor" - Effie Trinket

As a constant reader, it's always an incredible feeling to watch moving images unveil before my eyes of a world I had only envisioned previously in my mind. To see all these places, characters, and events go from words in a book to the big screen never fails to be a thrilling experience. The Hunger Games written by Suzanne Collins was no exception!

I had read The Hunger Games back in October of 2010. So it wasn't exactly fresh in my mind upon sitting down in the theater this afternoon to watch the movie. I had remembered the basic plot and key moments of course, but the details were glazed over after having read about eighty novels since then! The incredible thing was while watching the movie bits and pieces all came back to me. It felt like I had read it just yesterday. Amazing how the mind stores information and releases it went necessary. But I digress! 

 **warning spoilers ahead**

What was most exciting about the prospect of watching THG unfold before me was viewing this wild dsytopian world Collins created. Since reading the book there have been countless young adult novels of this sort. They're all futuristic dealing with some indescribably harsh conditions and forcing the hero to make life altering choices dealing with family, love, and hope. With THG, we get our heroine Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) who volunteers to fight to the death in the annual hunger games in place of younger sister who was chosen at random. Along with her is from her fellow District 12 is Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) who unknowingly to her has had an unrequited crush on her from a far. But this is not a love story. The foundation for it is laid and we as the audience are aware of it; however the heart of the story is about fighting for survival. Katniss ends up serving as the potential champion we root for. Good against reigning evil. She's strong, stubborn, and ready to do what it takes to return back to her family. Meanwhile Peeta (who's back story was much stronger in the novel) is overshadowed by the sheer will power and strength Katniss exudes. He believes she will win. We soon meet Cinna (played by Lenny Kravitz), Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks), and Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) who all performed their parts very convincingly! I especially thought Woody nailed the drunken bitter Haymitch with humor and genuine concern for Katniss. I only wish (again) there was more of his own history as a previous winner of the games. Sadly there is only so much a movie can squeeze from the book. Usually details and character development are lost, but I think this movie handled it the best they could.

It was such a joy to watch the Districts at the parade introducing themselves to their eager audience. Katniss and Peeta enter surrounded by flames. We get to see them interviewed and practice for the ultimate battle. In the meantime we learn Peeta's true feelings for Katniss. I was concerned how this was all going to play out in the film. I am a sucker for romance of course so when the moment came for Peeta to admit he has loved Katniss from a far I was concerned for it's authenticity, but I have to give credit to Josh for pulling this off. It worked. I have forgotten to mention Gale (Liam Hemsworth) who plays Katniss's long time friend also from District 12. I dismissed him probably because his screen presence was quite lacking. Then again so was the character of Gale in the book.

The tension leading up to the games was insurmountable. I felt chills as Katniss goes up in the tube releasing her into the clutches of the wilderness and her competitors who want her dead as soon as possible. The games themselves was the most anticipated sequence since it was so thrilling to read about. I recall literally being afraid to turn the page of the book at one point. I couldn't take the anxiety of not knowing! It wasn't as nerve wracking watching it, but I did feel nervous energy of the audience. I could tell there were many who had never read the book just from their reactions.

I have to talk about the cinematography and effects for a minute here. I was quite impressed. As I said in the beginning this futuristic world came to life.  I could feel how scared and desperate each member of the District was early on. They live to survive each day. The forests, the sounds of the bow and arrow, the eerie drum beat every time a member of the District died were all spot on. Some of the wasps, creatures, and other CG effects could have been perfected but it was nothing too distracting I couldn't over look it. Meanwhile the Capital has an over blown sense of arrogance. The food is plentiful, the outfits and hair are extravagant, and they behave as these games are the superbowl instead of what they really are which is snuff television. They get off watching others battle it out to the death. 

However, this year there is a potential love story blossoming between two of the young players. Is it real or just there as a ploy to gain the help of sponsors and emote sympathy from the audience? For Peeta it's real. We don't get a sure sense of the way Katniss feels. In the book we get her inner monologue and we realize she's torn but desperate to win and return to her family. She will do what it takes which includes creating the illusion of loving this boy. She may be in denial of how of feelings towards him but we can't help but see genuine affection in the cave scenes. She certainly developed a strong bond with young Rue which succeeded in being one of the more touching moments of the film.  In that moment we see how corrupt this world is by it's dominating rulers. They do no care for these children. They want hope just enough to let the games be fruitful, but not enough to let society think they have any power. The Capital must remain in control at all times. Katniss out shows them all in the end with her bravery and devotion to Peeta by willing to join in a double suicide with him. Thus they prove there is more to these games than having a Victor but doing what is honorable inside.

One gripe I do have is the watered down violence. This movie would have worked so much better if it were rated R so we could see the real terror these kids are enduring. As with the book the premise was much more fearsome than the outcome. Still with a PG-13 rating I felt it succeeded in creating the savagery of the tributes while not completely executing real terror.  Also the ending was anti-climactic. I felt it was a bit rushed at times and there's no real cliffhanger like in the book. When Peeta realizes maybe Katniss's affection for him may have been all part of an act I was crushed! I couldn't wait to read the next book and find out what happened. In the movie we get no real sense of that at all. Katniss claims she wants to forget while Peeta says he doesn't want to forget, but that doesn't really display how confused and hurt he is at that moment. It came across in such a subtle way I think it was missed entirely.

Lastly, the performances were very well done especially from that of Jennifer Lawrence. I adored her in Winter's Bone and I see so much more potential from her in the future. She embraced Katniss and became her. This movie would be nothing without her tough yet emotional performance.

As I write this I'm just learning the movie shattered box office records with an astounding $155 million opening weekend. It's more than anyone could have predicted and asked for! What works in favor of the franchise is how it appeals to be both male and female audiences. I'm such a supporter of films which derived from books and encourage more reading from young and old alike. Bravo! I'd also like to thank Stephen King since his recommendation of the book inspired me to read it in the first place. I was hesitant to get on board another young adult franchise but I when I heard King raved about it I could not resist. I wish nothing more but continued success for the series!

Next installment is Catching Fire due out in November of 2013.





10 comments:

  1. Diane your review is spot on it is exactly what I thought and so well written. I wanted more suspense and violence but agree the movie was adapted very well within the confines of the rating it had to have for all the fans to be able to see it.

    I like it a lot just didn't love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keryn is that you? I don't know if I loved it either, but I definitely liked it very much. Enough that I actually would like to see it again. Yet if I had to choose I'd say I loved the book more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Diane,

    You know my thoughts already and the fact that I pretty much agree with you as well.

    This in particular.

    "One gripe I do have is the watered down violence. This movie would have worked so much better if it were rated R so we could see the real terror these kids are enduring. As with the book the premise was much more fearsome than the outcome. Still with a PG-13 rating I felt it succeeded in creating the savagery of the tributes while not completely executing real terror. Also the ending was anti-climactic. I felt it was a bit rushed at times and there's no real cliffhanger like in the book. When Peeta realizes maybe Katniss's affection for him may have been all part of an act I was crushed! I couldn't wait to read the next book and find out what happened. In the movie we get no real sense of that at all. Katniss claims she wants to forget while Peeta says he doesn't want to forget, but that doesn't really display how confused and hurt he is at that moment. It came across in such a subtle way I think it was missed entirely."

    The ending is my biggest complaint as well. I understand they didn't and don't want to sell this too much as love story/triangle, but we don't get a good enough picture at how hurt Peeta is by Katniss. I do think they can improve the dynamic between Petta/Katniss with the rest of the films. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

    Another minor complaint, and I understand you can show and do some much in a film, but I wish they showed Peeta comforting Katniss at night with her nightmares leading up to the games. It is also how Mokingjay ends (before the epilogue) with them admitting their feeling to each other after Peeta, once again, comforts with her PTS nightmares.

    I was also underwhelmed with the parade costumes.

    Anyway, as you know, I overall enjoyed the film and look forward to Catching Fire as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap I forgot all about those scenes! Yikes. I think part of the reason I liked the movie was because I had forgotten so many details from the book like when he comforted her. Awww man...now I'm more bummed than I was before lol!

    Thanks for commenting, Paim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean to bummed you out. I just liked that about the book and the relationship between Katniss and Peeta. Like I said, they can only do and show so much in a film. I just would have liked to have seen it at least once. Don't be upset, the message of feelings developing between the two got across, just in a different way.

    A theory is that they didn't want to push the love story too much at this point. Remember, Katniss doesn't fully realize this herself. As well as possibly wanting to stay away from that other YA franchise that is about to end as much as possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I know but I hadn't remember that comforting scene until you mentioned it and I sort of remembered all these great moments between K/P that were eliminated. I still like the movie very much but now I'm wondering what could have been you know? :)
    And I totally get them not wanting to push the love story even though it was what was most memorable to me about it in the first place lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Di, we are just romantics at heart. I wonder where we got that from. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Di I agree with your review! As someone who was literally on the edge of her seat gripping her book during the Games, I felt the whole thing had been a little... sanitized. I think it would have been so much more powerful with more gritty, realistic violence, and with more emotionally complex Tributes too - having the "good" team and the "bad" team makes it too easy to feel nothing when the "bad" ones die.

    About Peeta and the ending... I can confirm that the people who didn't read the book didn't really get it. My hubby didn't, anyway, lol. We came out of the theatre and I was like, don't you see how sad it is, he likes her, and she was just pretending! And he was like, "ooooh, I see now..."

    Anyway. I really enjoyed it in spite of some minor issues. Will see it again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. See that is really disappointing to hear! The ending was so memorable to me and I feel it completely went over everyone's head who hadn't read the book. What a bummer.

    But definitely the book was way more thrilling. That sense of urgency and intensity was lost in the movie.

    Thanks for your comment, Anna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two out of the thee people I went with didn't read the book. They did get that Peeta's feelings were real compared to Katniss, but when I told them how the book actually ended, they did agree it would have been more powerful and clearer to have had it ended that way.

    I have a feeling we may get some sort of actually confrontation about this in Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete