Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Night Circus


The Night Circus  - Erin Morgenstern

What a marvelously enchanting story! I don't think I could come up with enough adjectives to describe what a joy it was to read this novel. It's by far the most creative story I've read in a while and it kept me both intrigued and entertained from beginning to end. The most incredible aspect of this novel is how descriptive it was. I felt like I was in this glorious world of the night circus. I could almost picture myself there watching the performances, smelling the caramel apples, and feeling the awe of the spectators.

This story follows two opponents destined to compete with each other in the midst of a bewitching circus. It's a mystery as to what the game includes and what the rules are. Two young people are chosen, a boy and a girl, who are trained from the very start to battle each other to the finish. They aren't aware of each other for many years though they know an adversary does exist. Further complicating the situation is the igniting passion which stirs between them after their first meeting. Among the main characters are a slew of fascinating players in the circus who each play a pivotal role in this challenge. My feeble words cannot do justice to explain how brilliant the story is constructed and played out. It is not perfect however. I do have a few complaints concerning the timeline jumping quite frequently causing the flow to disrupt. It took a few seconds upon starting each chapter to get a feel of when the events were taking place. Still it's a minor grievance in the grand scheme. I felt like I was taken on a delightfully charming ride and I didn't want it to end! 

I recommend to all readers looking to be swept away by a fantasy world sprinkled with a little mystery, romance, and magic on top. What a treat!

5 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite books I read last year! Summit is making it into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallory, I agree! It was such a fun read. I think it will make such an excellent film. I only hope Summit does it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Di - Keryn here and loving your blog.

    The Night Circus is next on my list of books to read - I am just waiting to get and email from my library to let me know that the book is available to pick up. I can't wait after reading your review it sounds really wonderful.

    Looking forward to the magical ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Keryn! I can't wait for you to read it so we can further discuss it together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Night Circus and I'll be starting it tonight. Look forward to discussing the book with you.

    ReplyDelete