Thursday, March 15, 2012

PC Verus Pen



My beloved companion who has been by my side through thick and thin, sickness and in health, in good times and bad has decided to part ways with me for good. I’m speaking of my desktop computer which I’ve had for roughly about eleven years now. I give credit to the machine for having lasted this long. It has been giving me hints it was about to leave me for the last few years, but this weekend was its final attempt at keeping me company. So as I sat at home last night staring into the lifeless monitor, I decided to take out some paper and an actual pen to jot down some thoughts. Within minutes this task became increasingly difficult. It’s not so much that I couldn’t think of what to write; the ideas were there ready to be poured onto the paper. I was just having trouble keeping them flowing slow enough for my hand to keep up. When typing I can almost have a conversation within myself. I think of something, it immediately gets printed onto the screen, and then I can move on. By writing out each letter I have to slow the stream of thoughts down and actually make sure I’m spelling words correctly. I thought to myself: this can't be good.

What’s even more frightening is the realization of how I couldn’t even read half of what I wrote. My penmanship has taken a massive blow from lack of actual writing through the years.  I do make out an occasional grocery list and sign my checks of course, but that doesn’t come close to the amount of pen to paper activity that used to take place back in my school days. It saddened me to see how far we’ve come as a technologically ruled society, yet how spoiled in the process. The average writer used to painstakingly take their time to compose a letter to a loved one or to their employer or to create a speech. Today we are at advantage by readily having access to a computer or iPad or phone to whip out an email in one minute. But at what cost? What do we learn by having the machine tell us how to spell or give us ideas when stumped for a good word by adding it’s own synonym? Or even worse we write out a text full of abbreviations and acronyms. It’s no wonder most schools are considering (if they haven’t already) doing away with script writing. Is penmanship even a word used commonly today? Do they send little love notes to each other in grade school anymore? Or is it all through the web further cementing the detached impersonal feeling which has taken over social communication? Are the days of pen pals gone for good?

Sadly there’s little to stop the way most respond to each other from a great distance. While it would be splendid to receive a hand written letter from a friend it’s highly unlikely to happen as we pack our days with more activities than ever before. As someone who enjoys writing, I do feel I have greatly neglected carrying a pencil or pen and simply scribbling a thought onto a piece of paper or napkin when the mood strikes. Isn’t that half the creative process right there? To be inspired in the moment and get it onto paper before it’s absorbed by some other pressing matter. I think it also largely contributes to the destruction of well written songs and films. Listen to the music out there, folks! It’s repetitive, unoriginal, and irritating. If most can’t take the time to write a letter then forget about actual lyrics. It’s not true of every artist, but it’s on the rise.

Now, as I leave work and my job computer behind I have to face another daunting night of having nowhere to type. I will try and prove my theory wrong and actually compose a blog on paper. It might help if I pick up a dictionary on the way home.

2 comments:

  1. Very eloquently put my love. I have thought about how "STUPID" our children in this country have become. Many, many times.

    The art of writing a "Thank You" card is gone. We text.

    The gesture of wishing each other a "Happy Holiday" by an actual card that you had to write in and sign (GASP!) has been replaced with an E-Mail.

    We are a communinity, without a doubt, doomed for near illiteracy. We have a lack of time to devote to a task such as sending a card with a simple: Hello and Thank You and My Deepest Condolences and Good Luck and God Bless and All our Best Wishes.

    I cringe when I see the penmanship of anyone 20 years old or younger. Sad, isn't it?

    I love your thoughts and I vote for you to start a MOVEMENT! Get our youth to read just ONE book a month. Get them to sign their name to just ONE card they had picked out, EVERY month. Random. For whatever reason. To send to ONE person they love. READ. WRITE. FEEL.

    Great job on your blog my darlin' - keep your thoughts flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my dear! I appreciate your words so much. Yes most kids today have left their brain at the door when it comes to a simple task such as writing. Sadly it's the case with some adults too! In no way can a text or email represent as much than a hand written letter or note. The worse to me are those virtual Christmas/Birthday cards. The day Hallmark stops selling actual cards I will weep for humanity! lol

    I LOVE your words: Read. Write. Feel. That should be our new mantra! Thanks for your support, darlin! :)

    ReplyDelete