Monday, May 14, 2012

Childless On Mother's Day.






As another Mother’s Day came upon me yesterday, I thought immediately of my own mother.  Although she’s far away, I was still able to call her and wish her a great day. I realized how lucky I was in that aspect, when I have a few friends who weren’t able to pick up the phone and give their mom a call.  But rarely do I ever spend Mother’s Day contemplating my own disinterest in becoming a mother myself. Nor do I feel sad about it. In fact I hardly ever give it more than two seconds of thought.  Still every now and then I’m rudely reminded of how in this society apparently not everyone agrees. 

I spent the majority of the day washing clothes at the Laundromat. One of the best times to go is on holidays (particularly Mother’s Day) so I had all the washers and driers to myself.  I was minding my own business as I always do when the owner stepped up to me and asked me why I was at the establishment instead of out celebrating Mother’s Day.  I explained to him my mom lives out of state. He then rephrased the question “why aren’t you out with your own kids?” I hesitated before answering knowing full well this was going to lead into a discussion I didn’t care to have, let alone with a perfect stranger. Still I answered him. I told him I didn’t have any kids. He sort of looked at me with a perplexed expression then asked me “why not?” I gave him an equally perplexing expression as if to say “why are you all in my business?” So I just ignored him and kept on washing. He continued on asking why a young woman like me doesn’t have children. I told him I wasn’t that young and I just didn’t have any. Instead of asking for further explanation he just gave me this look like “aww too bad.” I couldn’t take having pity bestowed on me when there was no need. So I told him I never wanted any and was perfectly happy with that choice. Well that set him off. He proceeded to lecture me on the finer points of being a mother. He said there's nothing like it in the world (funny coming from a man who spends most of him yelling at the kids who try to crawl into the drier) and how I shouldn’t be so negative about starting a family. I simply said “it is what it is.” He then asked how my husband felt about all this. Instead of confessing my single status and thus being lectured on how I should be married by now I simply stated “my husband doesn’t want them either.”  I then made me way outside and pretended I had a phone call in order to save myself from further scrutiny. 

I didn’t feel bad or guilty as much as annoyed. It’s nobody’s business what I choose to do with my life, let alone the Laundromat owner. But as I looked around the place I noticed I was the only woman there and I felt some of the other workers’ eyes on me. Normally I would have thought they were feeling bad because I wasn’t with my mom, but now I was thinking they felt bad I wasn’t with the two or three kids I should have. What nerve. I went into that place to do a load of clothes and end up feeling dissected for my life choices. Seriously?  There’s not enough babies and kids having kids out there? Is my life not fulfilled in anyway because I haven’t given birth yet?  If I felt even remotely sad about it then maybe I would have stayed home and gotten drunk. (I got drunk anyway but that’s beside the point). I don’t feel sad. I’m thrilled. I’m content. I know in my heart it was never in my cards to bear children. I’m too selfish and I love my freedom too much. I love to travel. I love to come and go as I please. I don’t have that desire to pick up and coo over a baby. Like EVER. There is multitude of reasons why I have chosen to remain childless, but that’s not the point of this rant. It’s MY choice and I do not have to answer to anyone about it. I was having a perfectly routine Sunday and someone had the balls to attempt to make me feel immoral unnecessarily. Is it really that big of a deal? I am no less of a woman or a good person because of this choice. Perhaps I am missing out on something amazing, but I have to find that out for myself.  Until then I remain many other relevant roles such as daughter, sister, aunt, and friend.  I am those roles all year round and they remain no less crucial to my existence than being a mother would be.   
End rant…and I hope all the Moms out there had a wonderful day.

P.S.-I thank my close friend Maria for inspiring me to write this entry!

18 comments:

  1. Hear Hear! First of all thank you for the shout out (wasn't expecting that!) I wanted to go into that in my post before I allowed myself the free flow that occurred but it is obnoxious how people want to push their agendas on other people. Maybe you tried and tried and couldn't have kids, maybe your child died, or maybe you just love your life as it is. I don't believe I've ever seriously said to anyone "Why don't you have kids?" Because no matter the reason, that person doesn't have them and my asking about them won't change that fact. That story pissed me off when you wrote to me about it and I am still pissed off...if I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me though, I'd be rich! Bravo for standing up to the societal bullies

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I forgot to add one quick anecdote. Someone recently told me she measured her years by how old her children were at the time of certain events. She asked me how I measure my life? I was offended by the question. So since I don't have kids the last thirty-six years have been one insignificant year after another? I explained I measure the years of my life by the people I've met or the places I've traveled or basically anything major that happens to me. Jeez what a concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Di, good on you for getting pissed off. Such a sexist attitude! I bet childless young men your age don't get harassed by strangers trying to guilt-trip them.

    This whole idea that our self-realization as women absolutely depends on building a family and having children makes me mad. They project their own prejudices on you, and then try to make YOU feel like your life is unfulfilled? people suck!!!

    and I do want children, btw... but because I personally want them, not because society tells me to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Di, I agree with you. It is your choice to have children or not. It is your life and you don't have to answer to anyone you don't want to. I also think older generations who grew up with a different mindset and culture/society have trouble with this new way of thinking and living as well.

    Honestly, I believe women (and men as well) should truly think long and hard before deciding to become parents or not. Let's face it, not every one should be a parent for a number or reasons. I don't mean in particular,by he way, I think you know what I mean.

    I'm in my mid-twenties and am still unsure about motherhood myself.

    Anyway, next time you see that Laundromat owner, tell about my boss. She is getting marries this June and BOTH her and future husband do not want kids. It was something talked about earlier in their relationship and are happy with their choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized that my response sounded really angry... sorry, lol :-)

    it just made me mad on your behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, thanks for your comment and no need to apologize for sounding angry! lol. Believe me I was rather pissed myself, especially since I was just minding my own business and I get essentially bullied into feeling bad about myself. I have many regrets in my life, but choosing not to start a family out of pressure from others or society is certainly not one of them. People really do suck.

    Paim, I made the choice a very long time ago. And you know nothing is set in stone. I'm certainly never saying never and I'm not telling others to follow in my footsteps. Whatever works for the individual you know? But it's a huge decision to make and I feel most (especially in the Bronx where I live) are too young or too poor and absolutely miserable being a parent. Good for your boss and her future husband! I commend them both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unbelievable! How rude! As a guy who might not be considered young anymore, who doesn't have kids, and who (most of the time) isn't sure if he wants any, ever--I can't believe someone was that brazen! Not just one question about spending time with Mom; not just another about being with her kids; but yet a lecture about the joys and responsibilities of motherhood? I'll bet he believes that women are here to have kids. Period. So it's shocking to him that one woman doesn't. I shouldn't be, but I am still amazed at the shocking assumptions and ignorance of some people.

    And, Anna/Cal, if it makes you feel any better, a few years ago, a woman who can't have kids asked me if I was ever going to have any. When I said I didn't think so because there were too many things I wanted to do, and because there were too many people on this earth already, she said I was selfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven, I hate to sound like I'm stereotyping, but in the Hispanic culture (which makes up a large percentage of the Bronx) having kids is quite the norm and even held in high regard. So for a Hispanic, 36 year old woman such as myself to not have about five kids pulling at my skirt is quite the shocker. It's that old school mentality where it's believed my job is to raise a family. FYI, the guy at the laundromat was in his late 50s at least so that may explain his old school way of thinking. I've always been the odd duck not only in the city where I live but within my own culture so this is nothing new. I've grown accustomed to going against the grain.

      And you are not selfish for admitting you aren't sure about having kids. You would be selfish if you had them and weren't ready or didn't really want them and couldn't provide for them (financially or emotionally).

      Delete
  8. ¡Hola, Di!

    My comments:

    Firstly, how rude the way this guy approached you. For this situations I put on my worst LATINA face and say: "I speako no ingles". The accent I don't have to forced it, since I have very Hispanic one. *grin*

    Secondly, it is your life and your decision...is NOT the end of the world, to wait or not to have them at all. You are right, in the Hispanic community used to be the norm to bear 3 or 4 kids before 35 years old. But things have change in the past 30 years. At least in Spain. Women don't have kids until after the 30s and only 1 or 2 max.

    Conclusion: You need to move to Madrid, where you will be the norm and not the exception.:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Hola Luna!

      Good advice, but since he was Latin himself I couldn't very well pretend not to speak English. But that's very funny! You're right it is not the end of the world at all. Things have changed thankfully but some people are still too ignorant to get with the program.

      I don't know about moving all the way to Madrid, but I'd certainly love to visit one day! ;)

      Delete
  9. Di, the previous message was from me Luna!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am am old duck and my way of thinking on this very touchy subject is firstly, mind your own business, secondly having a child or not having children is that person's business - my youngest son and his partner do not want children (secretly to my disappointment) but that is because I am selfish and would love more grandchildren in my life. His reason is that he is likes to do what he wants when he wants to do it and kids annoy the shit out of him and I say fair enough. I asked them once are they going to have kids and they told me probably not and that was the end of the conversation as it is their business.

    I can't even understand the audacity of that man asking the question in the first place and then keep it going with his opinions on how you should live YOUR life. The bloody nerve of him. I love when people make the right choices for themselves - good for you Di.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keryn thanks for your reply! And good for you not getting on your own kids about not wanting them. I had to laugh at your son's reason. I have to agree they annoy the shit out of me too!

      Thanks for your support! <3

      Delete
  11. Well you know what I think about this subject.

    I'm almost 40 with no kids and I'm perfectly fine with it. We live in a different time. If you don't have the financial means and truly wanting children is not a desire, then you have no business having them. Too many people have kids because it's expected of them. I'm sure it must be amazing to have children with someone you truly love. I'm open to that, but it's not at all necessary for me to be happy in life.

    As a man I don't take nearly as much heat as you do. When people ask I tell them the truth, which is I fear for the future of our society and I don't want to constantly worry about some maniac doing something to my child. It would truly destroy me! Yes some would say you are living in fear but it's more than that. I too am selfish and want to do soooo much more!

    Aron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aron, for me it's all those reasons as well but I also worry I would totally screw up my own kid. Sometimes it's hard enough taking care of myself let alone being responsible for a child and then worry about them feeling resentment towards me twenty years down the line. It's such a huge responsibility. And I don't know why but babies and children make me nervous. I feel a loss of control around them and I can't relate to them. Even when I was a kid I didn't like playing with other kids, lol!!

      Delete
  12. I have told you this before, but I partly understand you on this. I have one child, and wish I had a nickle for eerytime someone asked me,"When you are going to hae another one?" And when I say never it's,"WHY NOT". With this confussed look. Because I don't want more. That's why.

    It's just so so rude to ask a woman about children person. What if that person can't hae kids, or can't have anymore kids? How would they feel if someone asked them that? I can have more, but choose not to. It was a choice. I had Aaron and never felt the need to have more. I got pregnant with him in purpose and have loved eery single moment of being his mom. I just never felt the need nor desire to have more.

    Some say it's unfair to not give a child siblings. But mt son never complained, in 13 years he has never even asked for a bother or sister. It's always been us three, and we work perfect as a family of three. He gets just about what he wants and we never had to worry a lot about money for him.

    I think my career in childcare has a small part to do with it as well, but I have always been happy with having just him. He is perfect. He is my world.:) He makes my whole life wortwhile. I live for that child, and love him more than myself. But I wanted him, I truly wanted to have him. And I can respect your choice to not have any, since you do not want kids. I know tons of people who have kids who ate awful parents and it's always harder on the kids than it is them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I completely respect how much you love Aaron and I know he is your world :) I think that's a WONDERFUL thing! I kind of wish I had that desire and connection, but since I don't really feel unfilled in that area then I don't feel too bad about it. But again I think it's great you do have him in your life and are able to have such a tight loving family. :)

      In the end we have to make our own choices because end up living with them, not anyone else.

      Delete
    2. Geeze, sorry for all the typo's...lol

      Delete